Wednesday, April 20

Cries for Pity, Missed Excitement, Taco Bell, and an Bonus Discussion of My Disappointment with Underground/Indie Hip Hop.

Well, many things happened tonight. Unfortunately, due to an ethics test, I was unable to participate in many of them.

Here is an abbreviated list:
John tromboned in a jazz concert to which he provided me with comp tickets.
OU lost to OSU in a very close tennis match.
Elie Wiesel spoke at OCC.
Dinner.
RUF.

I saw the doubles matches (we beat OSU), but had to leave before the singles ended.

And skipping dinner meant I got Taco Bell.

But I am a little sad about this ethics test. Perhaps I will rename my blog "Please Pity Me Because of the Tests I Must Take and the Things I Am Unable to Do Because of Them." That would probably make it more interesting.

Tomorrow I am going home! I will post a piece on antiquated grammar rules and Invisible Children.




An unexceptional, boring post about hip hop I wrote this morning:

Listening to
Mechanical Royalty on Napster. It is a fine album, for the most part, with a few exceptional Aesop Rock feats. Reminds me of the two week underground/indie hip hop phase I explored a few months ago. Nothing too deep underground, just your typical Saul Williams, Sage Francis, Aesop, etcetera. Eventually they dissapoint, because they fall into the same bad habits of more popular rappers: violence, profanity, and poor treatment of women. It frustrated/s me that they too talk about themselves in such grand, vain terms. They don't all claim to solve these problems , but they do talk about "the state of hip hop."

They are quite talented. I saw Saul Williams at the Engine Room with Kevin (who won free tickets on FM 91.7)--incredible show, with a band.

I have never seen a man look as white as Sage, and I've never heard a white man have as much a natural sense of rythm as Sage.

Why does it seem impossible to make
good hip hop with no profanity (I mean an artist's entire body of work.)? I'm sure there is someone, somewhere. The "Christian Rap" I have heard sounds like it is five years old (From the year 2000 and like it is written by a child). Visit that web site and you will see what I mean. I have at times had a soft spot for Grits.

I guess the world is waiting for my rap debut--but I'm still looking for my Dr. Dre. . .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Baccarat game play pokerroom.com Dallas movers commercial moving company dluxmovers.com Lawyers ward norris heller & reidy

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home