Monday, April 18

Food pictures, tea dependency, Horton Foote.

This morning I was advised. Excitement! I hate being advised, because the advisors are always unaware of my hobby of mapping out every course I will ever take. I also don't like their rants about what I could do with a degree in linguistics. Which leads me to point out that I formally declared my major: linguistics.

After that I went to the ConocoPhillips Writing Center, because my anthropology teacher requires that I do so. So, I made up some "relevant" questions and then asked the "writer" to tell me some Serial Subject Jokes. Their offices are significantly nicer than their web site.

Then I consumed a mediocre lunch of overbreaded chicken tenders, undercooked green beans, overcreamed creamed corn, and a delicious black cookie. It is amusing to me how much attention I pay to my own food. Maybe that points to why no one reads my blog--I amuse myself only.

Interestingly (How pathetic is it when I must insert phrases like these to denote the interesting content of my blog, since most of its drab body bores even the most boredom resistant humans.), Sydneyann and I are going to China in August! It should be our first post-honeymoon trip. It is a 4000-level architecture course--three hours in eight days and five cities (and too many hours travel time). Needless to say, I am pretty excited.

Imagine the teas of China! Yesterday I became the ultimate pathetic tea addict/junkie/bizarrely-obsessed-tea-a-holic when I bought Green Tea: The Natural Secret for a Healthier Life by Nadine Taylor, M.S., R.D.. I picked it up at Jamba Juice to mock it. The book looked like one my grandmother wouls read (Think, The Healing Power of Coconut Oil.). I opened it, read a page, and bought it. Soon I will post a discussion of tea production, because I am learning some fascinating things. In other tea-related news, I bought a handful of peppermint leaves and a handful of spearmint leaves. I am currently mixing them with eucalyptus to make a delicious sleepytime brew. I need more mason jars for my teas, as I have used eleven of the twelve I bought last time. I also bought a popped rice tea. According to some legend or another, a Japanese Samurai's servant accidentally popped rice into his tea. The Samurai chopped his head off with his sword, drank the tea, enjoyed it, and regretted having chopped his servant's head off. Here is one transcription of the story.

I need to go to Dodson's this week.

I saw Horton Foote speak on Thursday. His response to the audience members who overanalyzingly decided he wrote of small towns to support/promote their morality: I just write stories about people--some of them live in small towns. Good answer, Horton, no wonder no one likes English majors. After the reading I listened to Foote talk with Boren. Maybe I should say I listened to Boren lecture Foote on how great OU is. He was saying true thing, bragging a little. What I found interesting was how forced it seemed. It was obviously a speech Boren routinely spoke, and I wondered how many poor visitors/donors/students/etcetera had had to hear it. After a while it disgusted me somewhat--just the fakeness of it, though I realize I do it all the time.

I am going to take a quick nap, instead of reading ethics. Josh, why/how do you like philosophy?

Later, an observation on the number of pictures of people "in the act" of throwing up found on Google.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Just think--after your trip to the Far East (or Far West, depending on which way you're facing), you'll be able to use the phrase "not for all the tea in China" in something other than the most abstract terms, and backed up with actual firsthand experience.

(Attempted cleverness combined with tortured grammar: check.)

Horton Foote is groovy. I liked "Talking Pictures."

I take exception to your clear bias against English majors, you rebel linguist.

(There's a thought: if "Word Court Gavel" doesn't work out as a title, you can always go with "The Rebel Linguist".)

I don't think 'overanalizingly' was spelled correctly. Of course, my bringing it up could be described as such. crap.

Unrelated to the post: I pulled up your eponymous web address. I'm going to assume that you are not the one pictured. (In the unfortunate event that you are the one pictured, I suppose I should complement you on your girlish hour-glass-like figure.)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sydneyann said...

You English Majors are of occasional use--thanks for the typo.

That is my hourglass figure--I have since expanded some.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Sydneyann said...

Indeed. Will you two be in town June 25?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, my dear, ever wandering through "streams of consciousness" (in reference to you random blogs, and I know it gives you some delight that they are random). Was that "English major" enough for you? You know, my mother was an English major (although, she doesn't recommend it ;)!

Love,
Sydneyann

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home