Tuesday, August 16

China, Bay Area, Broadside Pride.

Well, I have returned from my whirlwind tour of eastern mainland China for the course Traditional and Contemporary Architecture, Landscape Design, and Urban Development in Select Chinese Cities. We (Sydneyann, the rest of the class, and I) visited Beijing, Suzjhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou, and Shanhai. I bought the best tea in the world, literally. Grown and packaged ONLY in a small and very rich village outside Hangzhou. Only 1000 Kilos are grown per year and most are distributed directly to foreign leaders by the president of China.

The thing that most surprised me about China is its raging consumerism--seems to rival ours. I am working on a presentation on American fast food in China (primarily Pizza Hut, McDonald's. Starbucks, and KFC) and a journal. To avoid posting incessantly on the topic here I will later provide a link to my journal.

On the way to China I spent a night at home, in my old bed. Difference: with my wife. Weird? Not as much as you might expect.

Also on the way to China, I spent time with Geoff and Eli in San Francisco, due to a delayed flight. We went to Eli's art school (SF School of Art), ate at Mario's Gypsy Cigar Shop, and tried to get tattoos of freckles (the parlor was closed). Also, we went to City Lights. I hadn't been in a while, and miraculously was able to escape with no books (except for Wicked, bought by Sydneyann) and two broadsides (Robert Hass, Lucille Clifton).

On the way back, Air China sucked again, and we missed our connections and got stuck flying stand-by on the red-eye at 12:30 AM. So we went up to Berkeley to visit Isaak, which was nice. Because I haven't been to Berkeley. We also met up with Geoff, for dinner, since he lives in Oakland, at an incredible Indian place called something like Chaat's, that surprisingly has a location in Dallas.

It was interesting to see Isaak since his mastectomy. The hormones have almost supplied him with a goatee--I believe he will beat my Cherokee blood to it. It is strange to see as a man a person with whom you have so many memories (and good ones) as a woman, but it was nice to see him nonetheless. Especially in the place he grew up.

Special thanks are due to both Geoff and Isaak for driving us to Foster City and SFO, respectively, late at night. And for a good time too. Though, to my knowledge, they do not read this.

Dan-o, John are back in town. Ben and Rachel get in tonight. I need to call Con.

I am excited about picking up my handwritten "Distressed Haiku" by Donald Hall. It will look nice above my desk, alongside his letter, some Richard Eberhart manuscripts, broadsides signed by Ginsberg, Gorey, Cabot Black, Keillor, Trillin, and Verghese. I am very proud of my collection, and if you are in Norman you should drop by to see it. I convinced Sydneyann that my Albee broadside, with a poem by his pet, was great for the entrance to our house and after three days of hammering it is almost straight.

I have a lot of errands today, and this post is long and boring enough.